Thursday, April 15, 2004

So as I watched South Park tonight, I came across a commercial for something called The Buzz.

It's finally happened.

I'll give you a few seconds: What have we all been waiting for with a feeling of dread, knowing it was sure to come?

It's finally happened.

Yeah, fuckers, nineties nostalgia compilation CDs from Razor and Tie. Featuring all kinds of bands whose name you can't place with the song. Collective Soul! Candlebox! Eve 6! Gin Blossoms! Sublime! Deep Blue Something! The Presidents Of The United States Of America! Others! I wish the commercial was on right now, as... Deep Blue Something is the most symptomatic of the list. And you don't even know who they are, do you? They did that song Breakfast At Tiffany's. I'm sure that Sister Hazel's on there... I've forgotten them entirely, and their song, but their song was popular, and the band was a joke for one short moment. Terrible.

The question was what songs were on it that they didn't mention in the commercial. Dishwalla's Counting Blue Cars? Invariably. That's not even a question. The Refreshment's Banditos? I don't know. Probably, it fits with the rest, but I don't know how popular it was.

Pepper by The Butthole Surfers? Beck? The Breeders? god, what about She Don't Use Jelly or Cut Your Hair? The nineties had enough decent fluke singles to be cause for concern.

These are sad questions. Other happier questions are what Green Day and Bush songs will be the singles chosen for inclusion?

Oh god: Remember when there were all those eighties comps along these lines? And everybody I knew at high school started making jokes about... Madness and the Thompson Twins? Now there are ninth graders going to be making jokes about the fact that there was a band called Deep Blue Something.

God, even worse: Kids nostalgic for shit they never knew, and don't even know why it's terrible. You know the people at college who say they love the eighties, because you know, fucking VH1, and they're dumb as shit and no that was terrible, there were good things in the eighties- Coen brothers movies and The Pixies, basically, that was all, and that's not what you're remembering, (well, not remembering: fetishizing) you're obsessed with fucking the soundtrack to Vice City.

But of course, the ubiquitous Bush and Green Day: they still get the radio station airplay. Unlike Dishwalla. God, what a weird thing. I guess- does this make me feel old? I don't know.

Oh, and the commercial kicks off with What's The Frequency Kenneth by REM. So that's... yeah. I don't know how that commercial makes me feel. It makes me feel prescient, because, you know, I saw that shit coming. Not old. I'm not stupid enough to feel old. This post got all angry. What I wanted to say is that I called it, and now it's happened.

Also speaking of things called: my professor predicts a draft within eighteen months. Current bill allows for women, and college won't save you.

What else: big music festival going down in Olympia in July. I'll be gone by then. I don't know if it's Yo-Yo-A-Go-Go or whatever, but some big thing. I kind of don't care. Northwest indie rock: Built to Spill I like a lot and haven't seen, and I'm sure there are some bands who I could catch and fall in love with and then they'd get all huge, but whatever, I can fall in love with them when everybody else does, I don't feel the urge to be that guy. On-top-of-shit Olympia scenester.

I don't have a strong ending for this, as I'd like to have. I have laundry that needs to go through the dryer again. Damn this college. Going to sleep late tonight, with class tomorrow.

No comments: