Thursday, September 15, 2005

I went to the school bookstore to look at my class reading today. It's not too bad- One Brecht play (Galileo, which fits with the astronomy theme and so is at least partially forgiven), one Shakespeare play (Romeo And Juliet), but there's also Sophocles' Oedipus The King as translated and adapted by Anthony Burgess, which I'm excited for. In his version of the play, the blinding is shown onstage, which it isn't in the traditional version. Oh, that Anthony Burgess.

It seems like the class to take would've been the 16-credit Business And Society though, with its use of Vonnegut and Calvino, and possible teaching of real skills. Sometimes I wonder if teachers just assign shit they like and then ask in seminar, "So, what does this have to do with anything we're learning?" Which, depending on how the book or the rest of the class strikes you, could actually work, as certain things effect everything else around them and can serve as a lens for interpretation. But only if you're really invested, sometimes past the point of what can really be condoned.

I also submitted my story For Those Who Lived It, previously rejected by McSweeney's, to ZYZZYVA. Fingers crossed, team. Truth told, in my skimmings of the thing, I didn't find it too awesome, so any rejection shouldn't sting too much. Which is not to say I'm not getting my hopes up.

No comments: