Wednesday, May 19, 2004

So there's a wisdom tooth coming in. Sideways. I thought it was an abscess when I'd touch it with my tongue, and when I put my finger in my mouth to maybe pop it or something, I found it to be much harder and much more a piece of tooth growing out of my mouth. I guess I can wait until I get back to go to a dentist.

Also, my hair is at an awkward phase, I'm thinking. I liked it when it was long and when I was bald, but this middle-ground, which is still quite short... Depending on my posture I'm kind of sure I look like a jackass. I don't know.

Also, got It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken in the mail today, and read it. It's okay, not amazing. Better than a lot of stuff that I expected to be better, but not mind-blowing. I made a resolution not to buy shit from the internet until I got a job, but I allowed this as it came from a student loan coming in and giving me an extra $8.75. That check came in the mail today, so it canceled that out, and basically... A good day for mail, considering I usually don't get anything. Still waiting on McSweeney's 13, but I figure that's any day now. I also ate an ice cream bar for lunch, so that was a fun break between lecture and seminar, basically...

Tonight, I watched Le Jetee, the short film that 12 Monkeys was based on. It's mostly still photography. There's one shot that's not, which seems like it could be effective, and it could be, if it weren't a wasted effect. Still, some nice photography. Plotwise: Imagine 12 Monkeys without the 12 Monkeys cult and the Brad Pitt character. Add in a love story (I don't think 12 Monkeys had one, I don't know) and a brief trip to the future. (I don't think 12 Monkeys had that either)

Tonight was a night filled with me just doing that whole dominating a conversation by way of bizarre riffing. I think I alienated my audience when I made a Freakazoid reference... (the part where they watch Congo...) It's surprising to learn that not everyone loved that show. At the end, I was in the worst conversation about music I've ever been in... I usually enjoy these, but this one where I was talking about how the Beatles are better than the Grateful Dead. I shouldn't even have to argue that. His argument was one of technical skill and time signatures vs. pop songs. How do you even argue with that? I adopted an asshole contrarian stance and talked all kinds of shit. Funny to me is that, earlier in the night I was talking about how I like the Velvet Underground more than the Beatles, and meaning it. But I mean, fuck, the Grateful Dead are shitty. I think the person I was arguing with didn't like Freakazoid either... Look, he was dumb. Arguing with dumb people is hard, especially since, when they talk about time signatures and music theory, they are technically much smarter than I am. So that's a hard argument to have.

Freakazoid. Freakazoid.

No comments: