Friday, May 14, 2004

Newly resolved: To carry around matches in my pockets at all times.

Had the urge to start fires tonight. I don't know how to use a lighter. No one has matches. I think matches are way more aesthetically pleasing, but they're just not practical when you're passing a bowl around, so no one has them. So yeah, starting tomorrow there will be a matchbook in my pocket whenever I have pockets. The matchbook will be in the same pocket as my wallet, generally the right, while the other pocket, generally the left, is the domain of a pen/pencil and keys.

An urge that strikes me on occasion is to read the things Matt Fraction wrote for Savant. It struck recently. I kind of need to get over the urge. This time, I looked at the Media pages that were in the first twenty issues. Weird reading because reading the Fraction Savant stuff takes me back to early 2000, and while I was reading a lot of the comics discussed at the time, this happened before I got into movies with any kind of fervor. So when they talk about the movies they were excited about at the time, they're movies that I saw after they were on video, that were old when I saw them, and there's a part of me that thinks that maybe they all got around to watching certain movies after they came out, but no, that is not the case. This creates a weird feeling of nostalgia disconnect.

(There's only one person reading this who knows what Savant is, who Matt Fraction is, what I'm talking about. There is a reason he is my best friend. For the rest of you: Savant was this comics activism website-magazine bit, came out weekly. Lots of invectives to action, which makes for good writing, especially to a high-school kid. Fraction did it best, and had better taste than most, and was really good at the whole contagious enthusiasm bit. He stopped and the soul of the thing died. The other people tried to maintain his spirit for a while, and kind of failed. Then they changed tactics and... it just became boring without the battle cries, all the swearing and the personal anecdotes, and the good taste. I wanted to be involved. I alienated the people who were. It sucked. Still, before it went sour, it was a big influence on me for a while there. There were a lot of recommended comics I didn't check out at the time, and as such am checking out now or in the near future, i.e. Metabarons, this European sci-fi thing written by Alexandro Jodorowsky, the director of Santa Sangre.)

But yeah, nostalgia is gross. That was my stance then, in high school. But as discussed awhile ago, that is actually the times that we end up feeling nostalgia for later. So that's the irony, although one that could probably be anticipated by anyone older than I was at that point. It's odd when you realize that you're smarter than you used to be.

No comments: