Saturday, March 06, 2004

I've watched some movies recently. From the library, Spike Lee's Do The Right Thing, Jean Renoir's Rules Of The Game, and Francois Truffaut's Jules And Jim. All were good. Rules Of The Game had a cast too large for me to wrap my head around, but there was a lot to like.

I also saw Starksy and Hutch in the theater, to undermine any allegations of pretension. Not as funny as you'd want it to be, but still pretty funny. Exactly what you'd expect.

I just watched The Triplets Of Belleville. That's really good, so pretty, funny in parts, etc. It looks fucking amazing. Sometimes the character designs take a turn for the grotesque as opposed to the cute, but yeah that movie worked for me on like every level. Not a fan of some of the character designs, but most frames of that movie are so pretty.

Next paragraph gives some spoilers, and is also my little pitch to get you to see it. This movie had- old people with molotov cocktails, men in black, frogs being eaten like popsicles, homages to 1930s Fleischer cartoons fueled by opium, stolen paddleboats, and a reimagined Statue Of Liberty.

And 95% of it is FUCKING GORGEOUS.

I also ordered a copy of Brainiac's Bonsai Superstar from Half.com (out of print, and they had it for ten dollars) and downloaded Destroyer's City Of Daughters from Soulseek. There's also someone new on the iTunes network, from whom I stole a lot of stuff- Sonic Youth's Dirty reissue, The Television Personalities, Kraftwerk's Computer World, live Can, Gang Of Four, Magnetic Fields.

Most writing for the quarter is done. Oral presentation on Monday which I'll need to get some visuals for, but now I can focus my writing on that short story, which is still kind of stalled, but I need to finish it this week. And that seems doable.

Also upcoming: Spring Break, Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, Liars show.

Going to see Kill Bill again with Alex right fucking now.

No comments: