Friday, March 26, 2004

First off: I should really see a doctor in regards to my spine. I'm thinking a pinched nerve. I am really not looking forward to the prospect of getting one of those scoliosis crazy metal things, but that's a fate I've been avoiding for awhile, so maybe it'll catch up with me, or maybe I'll avoid it yet again. Either way, should see a doctor. But tomorrow/today-after-I-sleep? Fucking Seattle. Going to see Liars.

But the reason I'm up late. I was doing laundry, decided to buy soda from the vending machine, then decided "I should write a comic script." And I kind of bashed one out. So much easier than Shoppe, which, by the way, I had a breakthrough with, and now know what I'm going for. But this is- it's exactly the kind of thing I wouldn't want to be pigeonholed into writing, really, and it's in a similar vein to the McSweeney's submission for the August Van Zorn prize. Shoppe is looking like something I'm just going to submit to McSweeney's (regular issues) by the way, and is something I'd want to get more into. Smart writing, with eccentricity, and a heart. But the thing I wrote today, that flowed out of me like water? Just a goof. It's my stab at the "awesome" school of writing. I hope everyone knows what I mean when I say that. It's the kind of shit that's awesome but not "good," that's fun and passionate but not arty. I think that eventually it might have some "heart" too, an emotional core, but not yet. Right now that's just hinted at. It might have some pacing problems, too, but for now, I'm happy that this was something that I wrote SO FAST. SO FUCKING FAST.

No comments: