Wednesday, October 22, 2003

There's a drum circle outside my window.

I didn't think it would be this bad, really I didn't. I really don't even want to have one of these damn things, too much navel-gazing. But fuck, when there's a drum circle beating in your brainpan, what are you supposed to do?

I guess this will be read largely by my friends, who now have every right to hate me. This is terrible.

So here's the summary, which brings us to where we are now. Spent most of my life in the suburbs of Philadelphia, with the past summer actually being spent in Philadelphia, living with my brother. Then I moved to Olympia, Washington to go to The Evergreen State College.

Today in The OlyWa, Olympia's free newspaper du jour, there was a review of the book Sex, Drugs, And Cocoa Puffs, the book by Chuck Klosterman, ex-editor of Spin. Apparently, in the book, there's a line about people attending Evergreen because they don't want to attend life.

I'm of two minds about this. The first mind says "Fuck you, dude that was involved with Spin, you totally unfunny if-only-I-was-Douglas-Coupland asshole." And continues on that tip for a while. The second says "well, that's what I've always thought college was."

And when I say "always," I mean since sophomore year of high school.

Oh, so in the realm of good news, iTunes is available for PCs now. I downloaded it, and am able to access other people's music in a much easier way than dicking around on the workgroup network bit. I'm listening to Dinosaur Jr.'s Bug on my headphones now. I wish someone had You're Living All Over Me, as I've been feeling the urge to hear In A Jar.

The Olympia economy sucks though, jobs are hard to find, and CDs are 2-3 dollars more here than they would be at AKA Music or Spaceboy in Philadelphia. (this is before sales tax, which is 8.8%) I've decided not to buy any more music or rent any more DVDs until I go home for Christmas break. Just stuff I can't get for free, like books and comics and food.

Oh hey, in the between-track lull, I could discern that my roommate's listening to the All-American Rejects. Ugh.

I met a dude tonight who was posting flyers. He's from Omaha, and is going to try to get The Faint to come here. The Faint aren't good either, but I'd see them, probably. Just to seek refuge from the hippies.

No comments: