Wednesday, November 05, 2003

More thoughts on that girl I talked about yesterday. Like the previous day's posting, it's just going to be one thought, which will hopefully relate to larger things.

It's going to be hard for her to impress me. There's a lot of awesomeness, cuteness, etc. on the surface that there's nothing awesome or cute that she could like and I would think more of her for it. I'm sure if I lent her a copy of Craig Thompson's Goodbye, Chunky Rice, she'd really enjoy it. I'm sure she liked Rushmore. These are stereotypes for someone like her, but are surprising in other people. One of the great things about Diana is how she dressed very fashion, very "I go to the mall," but was still a fan of independent movies, etc. That's me dealing in cliches, but there's some people who read this who don't know her, so I'm just going to go with that example. Not like that's even a surprising thing, it's only if you only see people as stereotypes etc. that it's a deal. But the thing is, you do see stereotypes, and there's certain expectations. It's so much better when someone defies the expectation, breaks their stereotype. You are your dichotomy, your personality's juxtaposition of unlike elements is what makes you a fully-rounded human being.

One of the reasons I dress bland as hell, kind of on the geeky side, in fact, is so it's so much better when I say "man, Wire are a great band." If I dressed well, with plastic frames for my glasses, it would be expected of me that yeah, I like Built To Spill a lot. It's better to be an awesome person than to be a caricature of an awesome person. Maybe caricature isn't the best word, but I've overused the word "stereotype."

No comments: