Friday, October 21, 2005

I watched Orson Welles' F For Fake tonight. For those keeping a tally, the only bad Orson Welles movie I have ever seen is The Magnificent Ambersons. (which might've been ruined because of the people I was watching it with, the fact that I saw a video that might've been pan-and-scan, or the infamous studio cuts.) This remains the case. F For Fake is pretty great.

To articulate slightly further: It's kind of a documentary but it's completely insane.

It does what I kind of want to do with my writing and (this is shameful) even my talking/interaction. This kind of just kicking your ass with its intelligence. Not beating you over the head with the intelligence, not being pretentious about it, but just wielding it like it's a fucking weapon to achieve results. Those results being to charm you, which seems like it should be antithetical to the whole violence speak. But, no. I don't think so.

It's about magic, filmmaking, acting, art, and forgery. It's also about how Orson Welles is a bad-ass who even in his old age was able to have relationships with attractive women.

No comments: