Tuesday, May 10, 2005

In my film class, there are small groups of five that we break up into to watch a third movie every week. In my group, there's this guy who cheers pretty much every time a woman gets hit, or shot, by a man. This is odd at best and disturbing at worst. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, and think he's just responding to something that doesn't happen too frequently in movies due to decorum, but actually: It happens all the time in movies. It happens rather frequently. It happens in pretty much every noir ever. In most instances where a movie creates a scenario to get the viewer on the side opposed to the woman, that woman will get her comeuppance, and usually at the hand of a man.

In other news: I want to start reading something again, a novel, and The Sound In The Fury is unread, but I just don't have the energy yet for something that starts off difficult. Also: I'm not exactly going through a Faulkner phase. There's nothing to get me excited about that book besides it's classic status, which never really gets me excited for anything. I've got more modern stuff (Jonathan Lethem) that I'm excited to read, but I don't want to do that when I have a classic of American literature sitting on a bookshelf. Honestly: I need to read The Sound And The Fury, and I'm putting off reading other things until I do it, but all that's really doing is stopping me from doing anything.

No comments: