Friday, December 23, 2005

So I finally came up with a title for this novel-thing I've been working on, which has had some tentative titles, all of which were terrible. And I was happy, and I wrote it down, and I went down to brush my teeth.

The title I came up with was "Do You Remember When The World Ended?" which I think has a certain charm and appropriateness, it's actually really on-the-nose but that's better than some bullshit abstraction, right?

Anyway, yeah, I was happy with it. Until I said it aloud, and realized the uncomfortable similarity to the opportunistic post-9/11 country song "Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning?"

And I smile-laughed outwardly while inside I cursed myself.

The new title is "Have You Forgotten (That Time The World Ended)." Which has none of those problems.

That was a joke, by the way, for those who didn't keep up with every new fuck-the-a-rabs song that comes down the pike.

I don't know what the title should be. "Do You Remember When The World Ended?" is probably too fucking long. And punctuation- probably a bad idea. But seriously, my other working titles, that I never really stood by for a second- much much worse. Or, if they're good, they were better for the things I originally came up with them for that I will probably never get around to doing.

No comments: