Monday, July 05, 2004

At some point, I stopped looking like a clean-cut nerdy kid. This is if experiences with people where I work are anything to go by. Like when drunk girls ask me if I'm tripping, and it amuses me to say yes. They then ask what I'm on, and if I can get some. They later compliment my shoes.

Or today, when I left work at 2:15 and ran into a customer and his wife on the street. The customer in question frequents the store, asking for help to locate several CDs, then buying maybe one. In the past he's tried to pay in cigarettes, but today he apparently tried to pay using a piece of paper with a girl's phone number. Anyway, I run into this dude who asks me if I have any rolling papers on me to roll a joint. I say no, I don't smoke out. The wife inquires as to the phrase "smoke out" and why I say it. I admit that just heard it somewhere and thought it sounded cool. Anyway, yeah, they proceed to ask me if I smoke weed. I say no. They ask if I do shrooms, then they ask if I do hash. I say no to all these things. Then the wife asks if i'm working tommorrow, and if she can borrow a dollar until then. I tell her no, because I swear to God, I don't have anything but pennies in my pocket. She shakes my hand, which the husband had already done. I think she told me I was hardcore, but that might just be something I really wanted to imagine I heard.

I also lended my stool to the very young daughter of a woman with a giant yellow mohawk in the store, despite my sleepiness. This has nothing to do with people thinking I'm a drug dealer, but everything to do with me thinking I'm a bad-ass.

I was quite tired tonight.

Latest coworker is a thirty-two-year-old, which is odd because she's someone who I feel I could list a few personality traits and come up with a stereotype, based on people at Evergreen. The stereotype: Vegetarian lesbian ex-goth who smokes American Spirits. Do you know what that means, or do I just create stereotypes because I am filled with hate? Anyway, doesn't respond to my deadpan humor... Although I'm not sure any of my coworkers do with any regularity... she wore a Liars t-shirt her first day and a Sonic Youth t-shirt today, so I guess that's someone I can be cool with. Today people were listening to Big L and I was wondering if she was offended, because hot damn, Big L is some hateful shit. She was in fact offended. I agreed that it was offesive, but then she said some rant about people just saying offensive things to be considered "cutting edge" and asking what illiterates could listen to something like this, and I explained that I was dead inside, no longer offended. She said something about "when did it become cool not to be offended" or something along those lines, and I just told her I disagreed and refused to have such thoughts because they seem very "old dude way of thinking." Weirdly enough, when I said this I wasn't thinking of the age difference. I wasn't viewing her as being 32, I was just viewing her like those kind of people at Evergreen who are offended by things.

I am rambling, but that is because I desperately need sleep.

No comments: