Tuesday, April 26, 2005

I haven't written in this for awhile, which isn't a sin on its own, but not doing so essentially means that I'm blowing off a large number of my friends. Still, I have my excuses.

Mostly my life is a really boring thing. The new thing, though, is that I'm very much running out of money, and employment opportunities aren't exactly presenting themself. I want to stay in Olympia over the Summer, but that would require jobs to exist in this town.

The other thing is that as an outlet for writing, I find the authorial voice used for these things to be not particularly interesting. This isn't to say I've been doing a lot of fiction writing, but writing about elements of my life for the informing of a handful of friends isn't the most exciting thing to do. Especially since it feels like all I ever write about is music and books and whatnot, and there are message boards for things like that, that have more immediate feedback, and are more specialized and likely to be interested in the subject matter I'm discussing. Also, Blogger won't allow me to cut and paste, meaning I can't edit, which further reduces the quality of my posts.

In addition to that, there's the film class writing, which is not particularly rewarding, hung up on both really boring subject matter (most of the films suck, with the notable exception of Fritz Lang's M) and a really boring approach to it. (They want analysis in terms of things like lighting and mise-en-scene, not criticism- they just want to get into how things work, and in the most basic sense, EVERYTHING WORKS.)

There's a film festival in Seattle I might have to attend, but I really don't have the money to spend for such a thing, and even though my mom's said she'll send me the money, the money would probably be better spent on just about anything I regularly spend money on. (i.e. food, paying off student loans, saving)

Did I mention that I've seen every episode of Twin Peaks, and Fire Walk With Me, and its largely fucking amazing, with the exception of a several episode stretch in the middle of the second season? I also saw Wild At Heart, and that's pretty good too. Two Netflix accounts going at once here in J208. We watch more than David Lynch, but there's too much I haven't written about to write about here, especially in the cursory recommendation mode which is not particularly satisfying.

I've been stealing books from Barnes And Noble, but I'm not very good at it, as I'm too much of a pussy to take more than one book at once. I'm going to stop for awhile.

Awhile back, on this blog, I wrote at thing about how I had a plan to stop reading comics, but decided it was a dumb plan. As it turns out, it would've been a smart plan, because most new comics output right now sucks ass. Best thing I've read recently is Daniel Clowes' Like A Velvet Glove Cast In Iron, which is several years old, and I stole from Barnes And Noble. A certain amount of my enjoyment could also stem from the fact that I got it for free, so that lowers the standard considerably. Stray Bullets is now being reprinted in the ideal format, and I picked up a copy of The Innocence Of Nihilism in softcover, but it read better the first time, with surprises intact. It's good though, you should read it if you haven't already. Oh, and after my first trip to Barnes And Noble, they stopped shelving things like Daniel Clowes and anything else I'd be interested in entirely. Fuck you comics. I get my music for free, (which I frequently feel bad about- there's some stuff that I should own) I get my movies for cheap, (which is less bothersome, because I very rarely watch movies over and over again) but you remain overpriced and underambitious, and take up large amounts of physical space.

As soon as I get a job, the new steady cashflow will go towards buying amazing records in genres unrecognized by my music collection, namely, the kind made by black people. I might buy these on vinyl, so it seems less shameful. I don't have a record player, but my roommates do, and I'm sure I will have one at some point before I die, especially if I buy things on vinyl.

No comments: